Friday, June 6, 2014

Reflection

This course has helped to understand how world markets work.  I will have the chance to directly apply the knowledge I gained through study abroad to Australia from July to December.  Most importantly, this class has made me consider the effect of the culture of a country on my interactions within and with people from that country.  It is natural to assume that everybody you come in contact with will be a reflection of those who you have already come in contact with.  Largely, this assumption holds, provided you stay immersed within one culture.  This assumption falls greatly when traversing between cultures.

I do not have a specific topic that I'd really like to learn more about after this class. Rather, I'd like to learn by experiencing, letting the situations I encounter guide what I learn.  This class has prepared me to learn from those situations, considering the varying perspectives, and their effect on my interactions.

Adjusting to the entirely new lifestyle in Australia will be quite difficult.  But I think the most difficult thing over the next year for me will be going away from my friends and family.  I am from 20 minutes away from campus, and have not really been truly separated from my family and other people I care about.  I have built up close relationships here at Kalamazoo College, and I will need to find a way to maintain them through thousands of miles and 12 hour time difference.  It will be challenging, but I believe it will also be worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment